This blog provides general family law and divorce law information. If you have a specific issue or case you need assistance with please contact me directly to discuss my representation as your attorney or assistance as mediator.

June 20, 2011

Representing Yourself In Divorce - Indiana Divorce Law

The saying goes "he who represents himself has a fool for a client."  I cannot recommend that you represent yourself in a divorce action.  But, I am a divorce lawyer  so of course that is what I am going to say, right?  Consider the Indiana Court of Appeals comment in a custody matter:

We encourage parties facing issues involving the custody of children to obtain counsel to aid in the litigation of custody disputes. Because the court's order has such a profound effect on the lives of the parties and their children, we cannot emphasize enough the importance of presenting sufficient evidence and developing an adequate record.

I have written about the self-service resources available via the Indiana Supreme Court website here

Recently, the Hamilton County Courts published a manual for individuals representing themselves.  While some of the rules referenced in the manual are specific to Hamilton County, most of the manual is not.  It does a good job of describing the manner in which a non-lawyer is expected to conduct him/herself when dealing with the court and opposing parties.  If you are considering representing yourself I encourage you to read it.   

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me here

View 's profile on LinkedIn


The review or transmission of information at this site is not legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Should you be seeking legal advice, I recommend you retain an attorney. If you would like to contact me, please email me at [email protected], or call 317-844-4693